A true delicacy local to Hampshire that is perfectly at home in the waters around the Solent. Watercress grows in abundance in the crystal clear chalk streams of the River Test and Itchen which flow into the Solent.
Nutricious, full flavour, and easy for yachts as everything can be done in one dish
Total preparation time 10 minutes and cooking time 35 minutes
Ingredients – serves 4:
(can be purchased from fruit & vegetable store and local supermarket)
- Small bag of baby new potatoes (1kg)
- Large bag of fresh Watercress (180g)
- 300 ml Crème Fraiche
- Lean Back Bacon – 6 slices
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 50g mature Cheddar (grated)
- Vegetable oil
Recommend serving with Poultry or Pork.
- Cut bacon into approx. 1cm squares
- Add small amount of oil into casserole dish and heat on hob
- Add bacon pieces and cook until lightly browned
- Add the Crème Fraiche and pre-mixed vegetable stock and bring to boil
- Cut Potatoes into halves and add into simmering casserole
- Bring back to boil and simmer for 25-30 minutes – until potatoes are soft
- Roughly cut the Watercress into approx. 10cm lengths
- Remove the potatoes from heat and add almost al the watercress (watercress will wilt)
- Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and place under a pre-heated grill to brown, once ready, add some fresh watercress to serve!
Recipe Contributor : GN Espace.
GN Espace is made up of keen sailors who have been fortunate enough to combine their passion for sailing with their love of food.
The Company specialises in producing marine cookers and associated galley products for all sizes of yachts.
For further information please visit the GN Espace website at: www.gn-espace.com