Baiganee a very popular vegetarian side dish/snack sold by many road-side vendors in Trinidad and Tobago
- 2 Long thin Eggplants
- 2-3 cups of oil for frying
- ¾ lb raw chickpeas (washed and soaked overnight)
- ¾ lb raw split peas (washed and soaked overnight)
- 2 tsp saffron powder
- 4 tbsps garlic crushed
- 4 tbsps Culantro /Shadon beni
- 3 tbsps pimento peppers
- 1 cup flour and water for mixing batter
- Depending on the size of blender you may like to do this in batches
- Add one cup of water to each batch
- Drain both types of peas and add to blender
- add garlic, Shadon Beni, pimento and saffron.
- When all have been blended add flour and as much water to make a batter stiff enough to coat eggplant slices
- Cut eggplant diagonally into slices ( to size of frying pan)
- Coat eggplant in batter and fry 3-4 minutes or until golden brown
- Drain oil and keep warm until all are done
- Finally serve hot with Tamarind or Mango Chutney and hot sauce
Recipe Contributor: SY Piano crew / GN Espace
The crew of SY Piano are currently enjoying life in the Caribbean – on their second circumnavigation!
Their yacht, a Bowman 45, which they fitted with a Levante 4 stove, has been their home for the past ten years and has taken them safely around the world once already.
The owners are one of our first customers and continue to be very pleased with the performance and reliability of their GN Espace stove. Its excellent cooking performance and low gas consumption make it an essential piece of equipment for live-aboard and ocean cruising.
GN Espace is made up of keen sailors who have been fortunate enough to combine their passion for sailing with their love of food. The Company specialises in producing marine cookers and associated galley products for all sizes of yachts.
For further information please visit the GN Espace website at: www.gn-espace.com